Sunday, September 2, 2007

easy kabobs


This summer I found a really easy way to make kabobs. Trader Joes sells a delicious all natural kielbasa. It's already pre-cooked, so I just cut it up, along with some veggies, and slide them on the skewers, and Braden throws them on the grill for 10 minutes or so.

We have found the zucchini and yellow squash to be particularly tasty done this way. I've used cherry tomatoes or red bell peppers along with the zucchini and squash to round out the color. I also shoot for 3 times as many veggies as meat--that way you end up eating healthier! :)

To make 10 kabobs, I used:
1/2 the kielbasa (1/2 lb)
1 yellow squash
1 zucchini
1 red bell pepper

This time I marinated the chopped vegetables for 2 hours prior to putting them on the skewers. For the marinade I used:
1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
3 tbsp honey
1 tbsp mustard
sprinkle of salt, pepper, garlic powder

A side-note: If you have never made kabobs before, it's helpful to know that you should soak wooden skewers in water for 20 minutes before you use them. That helps them to not burn up on the grill. I didn't know that the first time I made them a few years ago! :)

No comments: