Friday, May 4, 2007

Blackbeans topped with Cornbread...


I've adapted this recipe from one of my bean cookbooks...when I try this recipe again, I will double the black bean mixture, as I thought it was a little much cornbread for the amount of beans the recipe called for.
*3 cups cooked black beans (I did mine from dry bean - I did about 2 cups dry beans, covered them in 2-3 inches water and brought them to a boil, then removed them from heat and let them sit for an hour, then drained them, added them to new water and brought them to a simmer for about 45 minutes. You want them to be soft but not mushy. It might sound like a lot of work, but it was really quite easy...)
*1 15 oz jar salsa (I used Peach salsa from Trader Joe's - absolutely delicious)
*4 scallions, chopped
*salt and pepper to taste
For the cornbread topping....
*1 1/4 cup cornmeal
*1 cup all-purpose flour
*1/4 cup sugar
*1 tablespoon baking powder
*1 teaspoon baking soda
*2 cups corn
*2 large eggs
*1 cup non-fat milk
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9X13 inch baking dish with PAM. Combine the beans, scallions, salsa, and salt and pepper, and pour into baking dish. For the cornbread, combine all the ingredients and stir until well mixed. The batter may be slightly lumpy. Spread the mixture evenly over the beans until they are completely covered. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until cornbread topping is done. Top with salsa and sour cream. Enjoy!!

No comments: