Monday, April 30, 2007

Island Baked Beans...


Well, I loved the bean recipe below, but I think this one is even a bit better, though they are both very yummy. This one is a little easier, as it is adapted for canned beans, but you could certainly cook up your own. Dave really liked this recipe. I served it over a basmati rice medley that I had bought from Trader Joe's.

*1 15 ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed (rinsing removes all that sodium)
*1 15 ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
*1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
*1 red onion, chopped and sauteed in olive oil
*1 8 ounce can crushed pineapple in natural juice
*1/2 cup orange juice
*1/4 cup molassas
*1/4 cup maple syrup
*1 tbsp curry powder
*1 tsp pumpkin pie spice or Chinese 5-spice
*1 tbsp dry mustard

Combine all ingredients in casserole dish and bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours at 325. This is great served on basmati rice. Leftovers are almost better than the first day, so don't worry about extras!

This recipe came from the daily bean. I did not have a red onion, so I used a white one and didn't bother to saute it. I also had bought a 20 ounce can of pineapple and used the whole can. I didn't have black beans, so I doubled the kidney beans. Still came out absolutely yummy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

These were AWESOME Jess!!! I loved them and Travis and I thoroughly enjoyed them and again today!