Monday, April 23, 2007

Salmon Burgers

I've had this post as a draft for a week now, thinking I'd post pictures with it. But I haven't had the time yet. So I will post it now and hopefully add pictures soon. :)

This year for Mom's birthday, I got to host her party in our new house! I also got to make the birthday meal (minus the cake--La's territory). I chose salmon burgers, Oaxaca corn, and a fresh salad with cilantro dressing. It was a refreshing and tasty meal for a warm spring day. I'm posting the salmon and corn recipes. By the way, we thought the salad dressing was quite good--I found it at Trader Joes and it is called simply 'Cilantro Salad Dressing.'

For the salmon burgers, I combined a few recipes and came up with this:

Salmon Burgers w/ Lemon Aioli
makes: about 10 good-sized patties

2 lbs of salmon fillets
1/2 of a large white onion
2 celery stalks
5 garlic cloves
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 cups bread crumbs (possibly more, if needed)
2 lemons, zest and juice
4 eggs
1 tbsp mustard
1 tsp chili powder
salt
pepper

Cook the salmon until just done or slightly underdone--I did 10 minutes at 400. Let the salmon cool until you can comfortably touch it. While salmon is baking and cooling, mince the garlic, onion, and celery. Put in a large mixing bowl. Add all the remaining ingredients. Flake the salmon and add. Mix it all together really well. Start forming your patties. If your patties do not form easily, add more bread crumbs and remix everything.

Heat a large frying pan to medium high heat. Spray with cooking spray. Cook patties about 3 minutes per side, or until browned. Serve warm on hamburger buns with the lemon aioli.

Lemon Aioli

2/3 cup mayonnaise
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp mustard
1 lemon, zest and juice
1 tbsp sugar
dash salt
1/3 cup olive oil

Add everything but the olive oil to a blender or food processor. Blend well. Slowly add the olive oil while the mixer is running. Serve as a topping for the salmon burgers.

Oaxaca Corn--okay, this recipe sounds really weird but you have GOT to give it a try! I first tried it because it sounded so odd I had to try it. Braden and I were both surprised at how yummy this recipe was. I found the recipe in my Southern Living magazine, but as usual I have changed it a little. But I still want to give them credit for it, because it's mostly the same.

6-8 fresh ears of corn
2 tbsp mayonnaise
2 tbsp sour cream
3 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
1 tbsp chili powder (or up to 2 if you desire--start with one, though)
2 limes

Cook your corn. Roasting your corn over a grill is going to be the tastiest way. You can find lots of ways to do this (or roasting in your oven) on the internet.

While your corn is cooking, mix the mayo, sour cream, cheese, and chili powder together. Cut your limes up in wedges.

Serve your corn hot. Spread the mayo mixture over your corn, then squeeze a lime wedge over the corn. Eat your corn!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Sounds so yummy! I'll definately give it a try!