Saturday, March 3, 2007

Tropical Fish

Last week, we had a beautiful sunny day, the air was warm and fresh, the sky blue. It reminded me that spring was just around the corner and sent my thoughts toward sunshine and Hawaii. It just so happened there were mahi mahi fillets thawing in the fridge, so I set about to cook up some mahi mahi reminiscent of Hawaii. It came out quite tasty, so I will share it here.

Tropical Mahi Mahi with Salsa
olive oil (I used lemon infused olive oil)
basil
coarse salt
freshly ground pepper
pineapple rings
coconut

for the fruit salsa
2 kiwis
1 mango
olive oil (lemon infused)
balsamic vinegar
honey
ground cloves
salt
pepper

I drizzled the filets with olive oil, sprinkled on the basil, salt and pepper. Then I laid rings of pineapple on top. I baked it at 400 for about 10 minutes. I think broiling it would have been a better idea, but I didn't think about it until half-way through baking. If you try this, try broiling it. About half-way through I sprinkled coconut on top.

For the salsa, I chopped the mango and kiwis. I tossed them with a little olive oil (2 tbsp), balsamic vinegar (1 tbsp), honey (1 tbsp) and the seasonings--just a few shakes of each. As I served the fish, I spooned the salsa on top. It was fresh, flavorful and delicious!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Looks fabulous - I'll definately have to give this a try!!