Saturday, March 24, 2007

Zucchini Flower Pancakes...

One of my favorite memories as a little girl was sometimes on Saturday mornings, my dad would make us zucchini flower pancakes. This might sound like an odd combination, but it is very delicious, and an age old Italian recipe. Zucchinis have male and female flowers, the females producing the zucchinis, so my dad would pick all the male flowers from our backyard garden for our pancakes. I found these flowers at the farmer's market yesterday, but these had mini zucchinis still attached. That is fine, and we just saved the zucchinis for later to sautee with dinner. Whole foods will sometimes carry the flowers, though they can be very expensive, so I would check at a local farmer's market. I was able to find 8 flowers for about $2.50.
All you need to do is mix up pancake batter (Trader Joes has a great whole grain pancake mix), and coarsely chop 6-8 flowers into the batter.
Cook them just like you would regular pancakes...
And you will have quite a feast! Dave had them for the first time today and loved them! They are great topped with butter and maple syrup and if you are brave enough to try, I love my with a little sour cream, as well.

1 comment:

UVIC said...

Wow.. I can't believe someone else has those memories... I thought we were the only one's making the darn things. My dad would use the zucchini flower with flour,milk, grated cheese, salt, pepper and would have them before dinner as an appetizer.. delicios!